Washington DUI Ignition Interlock License IIL | WA State DUI IIL Info

Ignition Interlock Licenses - Keep You Driving!

Ignition Interlock Licenses

Burg/Fulton: Trusted, Experienced, Ready to Help!
Burg/Fulton: Trusted, Experienced, Ready to Help!

If you have lost your license because of a DUI conviction or because of a Washington State Department of Licensing suspension, the Washington state ignition interlock lock license law allows you to continue driving 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for any reason to any place if you obtain an ignition interlock license from the Department of Licensing.

How to apply for an Ignition Interlock License:

  1. Send in the IIL application with $100 (you can do this before #2 and #3 are finalized). DOL replies most quickly to you if you check "email" box towards the bottom of the application.  It takes DOL about 10 days to process these, so get it in promptly to ensure you don't lose your ability to drive.  They will not grant the IIL unless #2 and #3 below have also been submitted to them.  They will deny the IIL if they don't have #2 and #3 within 30 days of receiving the application.
  2. Have an ignition interlock device installed on your car. This will require setting up an appointment with an ignition interlock provider.   You must use someone on the Washington State Patrol's approved IID list. Make sure they file proof of the IID installation with the DOL with the appropriate form. This is via fax to (360) 570-4961 or scan and email to [email protected]  Again, this must be completed and filed with DOL before the ignition interlock license is granted.
  3. Obtain SR22 insurance. You may first want to contact your insurance company about it it.  If they don't provide it, we recommend T. Vance Webster; (206) 282-1712; [email protected]; www.VanceWebster.net.  Make sure  proof of this is filed with the DOL via fax to 360-570-7040.

DOL WILL NOT grant an Ignition Interlock License until the IIL application is in with $100 paid and proof of the ignition interlock installation is on file with DOL and proof of SR22 insurance is on file with the DOL.  They will deny the IIL if they do not have proof of IID and SR22 insurance within 30 days of receiving the IIL application.

Work Vehicle Exception: An ignition interlock device is not needed vehicles driven for work if this declaration is filed with DOL.  This includes rental vehicles.  However, and no matter what, to get the ignition interlock license you will need the ignition interlock on at least one car.

License Status (has the IID been granted?): You can check the status of your ignition interlock license here.

FAQs regarding Ignition Interlock Licenses:

Who will qualify for an IIL?

Any driver who has been convicted of a DUI or physical control or who has or will lose his or her license pursuant to an administrative hearing under the DOL process that occurred after the DUI arrest (RCW 46.20.308) will be eligible for an IIL. This includes drivers who lose their license for breath or blood test refusals and clients arrested for minor driving after consuming alcohol, RCW 46.61.503.

How much will the IIL cost?

The fees associated with an IIL include:

  • An application fee of $100 sent to the DOL with your application;
  • A $20.00 per month fee paid to the ignition interlock device company which is deposited in a special account to help fund access to ignition interlock devices for indigent drivers;
  • The cost of the ignition interlock device installation and fees;
  • The cost of SR-22 insurance.

How long will it take to get an IIL?

This will be up to the Department of Licensing. Currently, the DOL is processing applications within 2-3 weeks.

What happens if I violate the terms of the IIL?

It is a criminal offense to violate the terms of an Ignition Interlock License punishable by up to a year in jail and up to a $5000.00 fine. RCW 46.20.410.

I have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL), will the IIL allow me to continue to drive a commercial vehicle?

No. Unfortunately, those with a CDL will not be allowed to drive a commercial motor vehicle with an IIL. However, you will be able to drive a non-commercial vehicle.

Facing a DUI Charge in Washington State?

Call Now: 206-467-2607